Jason and Jamie

Jason and Jamie

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SUBBING

Subbing....how to describe it!!?!?  CRAZY!!!  haha...j/k!  It's actually not to bad.  My job, before I started to sub, is working at Ezell Harding Christian School with their after school program.  I have to be here from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm.  That is not a long day at all!  It's fun working with the children but some days are definitely better than others.  Well, back in January, I talked to the secretary and asked if they needed more subs for the elementary.  She said I will put you on my list and the very next day she called me to sub for the following day.  The first time was a 1/2 day so I didn't get to school 'til 11:15am.  I would sub and then go to extended.  It wasn't too bad working both.  Well, I subbed a few times since.  Last week I even subbed for my mother-n-law.  Haha.  The kids still had a Mrs. Frankum for a teacher that day.  :-)  The kids at extended call Mrs. Jamie though.  So instead of confusing all the kiddos with two Mrs. Frankum's, I've been telling them they can call me Mrs. Jamie.


Well, last week when we got some snow and ice, the music teacher fell and broke her ankle and had to have surgery.  This was Tuesday last week (2/16).  On Wednesday the secretary asked me if I wanted to sub Thursday and Friday b/c the music teacher is out.  I said sure.  Working an almost 12 hour day is rough.  I get here around 7:30 am and leave after extended which is 'til 6.  Man, those two days last week were rough!  I was not ready to work that long and I was EXHAUSTED!!!  But I'm kinda getting used to it now.  I've already worked Monday and Tuesday of this week and I'm working today, Wednesday.  I'll be working tomorrow, Thursday, and then next week I'll be working Tuesday through Thursday.  I'm glad I can work it and the extra money will definitely be nice.  Since I lost my full time job back in August, it's been a little hard money wise.  But me subbing helps a little bit.  It's not much b/c I'm at a private school but the more days I work, the more money.  Which, I'm not all about the money but we do have a little debt we need to pay off so the more money now will be good.  I give credit to those people out there that usually work a 12 hour day...whether it be a nurse, doctor and even those who work a 24 hour day.  I'm sure those are rough.  More power to you!!!


Like I said, I've been subbing for the music teacher.  I've known music since 5th grade.  5th - 6th grade I played violin.  It was absolutely awesome except my teacher!  Her son was my age and he was VERY mean to me.  She didn't do anything about it either which made me mad.  But anyways, Jr. high (7th-8th) I played the trumpet.  I continued playing the trumpet through my senior year but once I became a freshman, I joined the Pit of the percussion for marching band.  I also played in our Winter Drumline during the spring semester.  It was amazing and i'm glad I did it.  Having said that, high school was pretty much the last time I paid attention.  Jason and I have a piano and I recently started trying to learn some music.  It's been a LONG time since I read the actual notes.  So subbing for music has brought the joys of music back.  I love music and love listening to it but it's also a great joy to be able to play an instrument.


Now as far as subbing for a class all day...that's a little different.  There is one 1st grade class I subbed for for a 1/2 day and it wore me out!!!  Kids today are NOT disciplined like they should be.  Anyways, those are my two cents about subbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment